The Jensenites

The Jensenites

Pages

Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Chronicles of the 'Meow-Meow' Books

Warrior cats have been taking residence in our home as of late.   Cats named Fireheart, Redtail and Tigerclaw have been found on the floor, on the table, under the bed, and in backpacks - not far from Jarin’s grasp. 
These cats come in the form of a book series called Warriors – how many books in each series?  I am still counting.  The cover illustrations are so cute, that it’s hard to believe that the books are about clans of warrior cats that roam the forest in search of secrets, peril, adventures, allegiances and even romance.   I am told they are pretty cool books despite the cuteness of it all.  I call them Jarin’s ‘meow-meow’ books.



Thursday last week:  Jarin comes home totally bummed.
“I am going to be sooo bored today! “  Sigh.
I really don’t want to know why, but it’s my job to ask,  “Why?”
“I left my book at school.”
“Oh.”
Lucky for him, he and his buddies head to the school playground with a basketball.  Being boys, they check the doors to see if they are still open.  They are.  Ms. Howard (the awesome teacher in the school) gets visited by a bunch of boys.  Jarin takes this fine opportunity to sneak into his classroom to retrieve his ‘meow-meow’ book.

Friday morning last week:  a sleepy grumpy Jarin rolls out of bed and out slips his book and the bedroom phone, which served as a flashlight, from his bed covers.  I had no compassion.

Monday this week:  Jarin comes home and plops on the couch to read his latest ‘meow-meow’ book.  Friends by the handful come to the door, each one is told, by Jarin, that he can’t play today.  Jarin heads downstairs, book under arm and a bag of pretzels in his hand instructing me to tell his friends that he can’t play and to please not bug him.  Excuse me?

Tuesday:  I search for Jarin to hand him the phone, it is his buddy calling, and find him behind a different ‘meow-meow’ book.   This is what I hear….
“Yeah, I’m working on school stuff (ahem, technically that’s true), it’s gonna take me awhile.  I also have lots of jobs (which he didn’t do).  I don’t think I’ll make it today.  Tomorrow?  Yeah, tomorrow I’ll be able to play.”



Wednesday:  True to his word, Jarin and 12 of his buddies were in the backyard playing tackle football.  They all went home for dinner and two came back to resume the game.  By this time I finally caught on, I hollered loud enough for his friends to hear,  “Sorry Jarin, I have book club – no more tonight.”
Jarin closed the door with a smile and picked up his ‘meow meow’ book.

Thursday morning (today):  Jarin can’t get out of the guest room bed.  His eyes are glued shut and he doesn't respond.  He likes to sleep in the guest bed occasionally.  I should know better – there’s a touch lamp right next to the bed in there!

‘Meow-meow’ books are now in my custody during twilight hours.

The End!


2 comments:

Mags said...

I think it is AMAZING he is loving the books and reading so much! I will have to check that series out...

Kaye said...

Hmmm. . . haven't even heard of these books. Colby is the reader at our house. A great day for him is a trip to Barnes and Noble and lunch at Fuddruckers. . . then a lot of uninterrupted time to read.