The Jensenites

The Jensenites

Pages

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Book Haven vs/ Real Life

It just kills me that I have to buy books in multiples simply to appease my little readers.  Haven’t our ‘sharing’ lessons taught them anything?
I know I have posted about our book addiction before, however, it is continuous, ridiculous, tiring and a good thing.

Disclaimer:  the kids do pay for half their books.

Our life is like a book – every thing we do has a beginning, middle and an end.

The Beginning:

This morning (Thursday 3/25) I woke up to this….
*Jarin:  "Guess what today is?" 
*My thoughts:  Hmm, I wonder?  He has been counting down for Fablehaven 5 for months.
*Makayla:  "Which store are you going to?  I bet Costco has the better deal?"
*My thoughts:  I don’t remember agreeing to this.
*Jarin:  "I know where you are going today!"  (big smile)
*My thoughts:  Oh great!  Now I have to do my hair.

After school….
Makayla gets in the car and looks around and says, “Where is it?”
Jarin walks through the door, tosses his coat and backpack into his locker totally missing the empty hooks and says, “Where’s my book?”
What happened to, “Hi Mom” ?
I guess that’s too much to expect for a mom that did her hair and make up just to run to Costco.



The Middle:  (actually - this occurs daily)
*reading
*reading
*reading
*forgetting to do chores
*giving friends the brush off
*no desire to practice piano
*forgetting to do chores
*reading under the covers with a flashlight after lights out















I think half the pretzels made it between the couch - I haven't dared look yet.







Even Oreo reads.

The Ending:
*lost book jackets
*back to reality – yes you have chores
*lost privileges
*searching for the next book
*scattered books everywhere!




Jarin's nook - listening library included.


This really isn't bad at all.



Leave it to Makayla - 
She is in the process of covering all of her paperback books in contact paper.
Yeah - I wish her joy and pleasure.

The real problem with this 'book haven vs/ real life' is that  I am not much different when I read - teeheehee.

5 comments:

A Musing Mother said...

Can I move to your house?

Jess said...

That is so great that your kids love to read too! So much better than TV and video games!

Mags said...

Yolanda...I think it is absolutely amazing your beautiful children love to read so much. We are book lovers at our home, too...what a blessing!

thehalvs said...

Yeah Books!

Jenna said...

A great post. My 10 year old was super excited for Fablehaven as well. He finished it in 3 days. Three school days. :) I haven't had a chance to read it yet (I've read all the others) so I won't let him tell me about it and he's hated that. Like me, he likes to talk about what he reads. I love it.