The Jensenites

The Jensenites

Pages

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Science Fair

Before we had kids, Cameron and I collected books and ideas for children's science projects. We were obviously excited for our children's scholastic future goals. Our plan was for Cameron to take over the science and math studies while I focused on language and survival skills.

Makayla's 5th grade science project was about static electricity. She and her dad had a hay day experimenting with protons and neutrons - I stayed away.

Makayla's 6th grade science project (optional at this grade) was the effects of watering methods on wheat grass. That was up my alley. She won her elementary level, went on to district and won and ended at regional at BYU. Yeah!


Jensen Hall of Fame
January 2008

Later I found our dusty collection of science fair project books and tossed them in the recycling bin. Who needs those?

Before Christmas, Jarin came home bearing the familiar science fair entry form. Already? He and Cam sat in the den for an hour coming up with experiments. I didn't dare tell them that I had tossed the holy bible of science experiments away. They came up with 'How does smell affect our taste?' Okay, really, I thought they would come up with something better.

By and by, I did put a little bug in Jarin's ear about the effects drinks have on teeth. Wouldn't it be cool to see what drinks containing sugar and acid did to teeth? What ten year old boy is going to resist that? The tooth fairy made a special delivery to Jarin and presented him with five of his baby teeth - woohoo! I was so excited I couldn't handle it and had to restrain myself and let him do the experimenting. Look who's taking over the science studies now!

FYI: Coke does not dissolve teeth - at least not in 10 days. It does eat the enamel and make a perfect pirate keepsake.


Latest feature in the Jensen Hall of Fame!
January 2010
He did a great job!
Way to go Jarin!

3 projects down and 3 more to go.
That is, if the kids decide to go the extra mile - then we have up to 7 more to go.
Darn! I should have kept those books!

No comments: