The Jensenites

The Jensenites

Pages

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Finished Creation #3

Garden Boxes 

Disclaimer - This is nature's creation - I take a small ownership by planting, weeding, watering, tending and praying - the rest is up to nature.

Last year we began our gardening adventure here in Utah by rounding up the crew for a week full of dirt hauling.  The kids loved it.  Unfortunately, we had an unsuccessful year of growing.  Our garden only grew plants and no produce - really truly - well, only a quarter of the garden gave.  All that work, plus my hours of frustrated tending for a learning experience.



This year I undid my children's hard labor by replacing 8 inches of soil with Mel's Mix.  I also talked Cameron into building two more smaller boxes on the grass next to the fence.  I was so excited - I wanted to experience the joys of gardening to the fullest - so I decided to grow my plants from seed.  

The result......


What it should look like.......

Next year, I will save me the trouble of organizing my mud room into a small green house and just buy the plants.  Plus it is the same price either way when you add up the seeds, soil, small pots, etc.

2009 Garden  (my little boxes are in the distance):  So far so good.  We have had bowls full of lettuce and spinach - mmm.  All the plants are growing great with little effort.  The fact that the rain has watered my garden for three weeks is a plus.  I am fully expecting a yummy harvest this year - fingers crossed.

Potatoes, tomatoes, peas, beans, lettuce, spinach, zucchini, yellow squash, spaghetti squash, melon, cucumbers, basil, parsley, cilantro, green peppers, hot peppers, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, onions and strawberries. 

Whew!

1 comment:

Joan said...

I love that your grow box is so high. As I get older, I'm thinking I need all mine waist high for weeding convenience. That is a nice garden and work prospect for the whole family.