The Jensenites

The Jensenites

Pages

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Book Worms


Our family comes from a long line of book worms.  I think it started with Lico Bear (grandpa).  From an early age I remember him ALWAYS reading.  His addictive example was passed onto me and my sisters.  Through the years, I have painstakingly prepared my children to develop a love for reading (see post - Confessions March 2009).  Now that it has been properly instilled in the older three – I have had to reverse the cycle and use it as a parenting tool to my advantage.

“ You can read after you finish your chores.”  (with a smile)

“Let’s get the yard work done and then go to the library.”

“Hurry and brush your teeth and get into bed so that you can read for a bit.”  (and me too)

“You better be good so that your books stay in your room!”  Kids – Sniff sniff.

“You’re grounded!  No reading tonight!”     Kids  - Whaaa!


(Fablehaven book signing with Brandon Mull -
La has had all 4 books signed over the years.)

After many endeavors of persuading my children to share a book and save money by purchasing only ONE book, we now have several double copies of books and series.  No one wants to wait for someone to finish a book.  

Each room has a personal library and mine is slowing dwindling and moving into Makayla's library which is now organized with a dewy dismal system.   

From early on, Cameron and I have told the kids that we would always pay for half the price of a book if the kids wanted to purchase it.  Makayla has taken full advantage and most of her earnings go to build her library.  Jarin also buys his own books.  I cringe every time a school book order comes home.

Jarin was awarded 'the boy who read the most in the fourth grade' prize 
by the Lehi Burningham Truck Company.


Now that T has moved from 'readers' to chapter books - he too has joined the book worm club.  He still delights in the Captain Underpants books - as if he needs any more potty humor to foster his savvy personality.


Since passing the chewing book stage, the girls now feverishly browse 

through picture books for a good solid hour.  

I love that time.

I love their piggies too.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

I'm envious. I remember summers of reading -- trying to read the most pages for the Pleasant Grove Library competition. I need to make more time to read now -- it's sporadic at best!

Joan said...

I have a father that read non-stop and I learned to love books from him too. I read from the time I could figure out phonics, and books are a treasure to me too. Love the piggie toe picture. Priceless.

Jenna said...

I got my reading bug from my mom, so maybe it's just a Pack thing. :) Both my 9 & 7 year old are big-time readers as well. Isn't it grand to see our children embrace the things we love!

I don't cringe with the coming of the new book order--I grab it for myself! With Jimmy in 4th grade this past year, he was finally bringing home orders with books in it that I wanted to own/read! I got so many great books this year for my library! :)