The Jensenites

The Jensenites

Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Homemade Laundry Soap



I have been making our laundry soap for over a year now.  I started out by making liquid detergent, but that was too much work, took too much time and too much room and I didn't like it.  Then I switched to powder and love it for my HE machine. It doesn't have the Tide smell that I like, in fact my clothes don't smell at all but it cleans.  That's what counts, right?  Upon searching different recipes, I finally found one I like.   I found all the ingredients at my local store.

Homemade Laundry Powder 

4 bars of Fels-Naptha
4 cups of Borax
4 cups of Washing Soda
1 box of Baking Soda - a lot of people don't use this, I don't think it hurts so I add it.
1 cup of Oxi-clean  

Grate the bars with a cheese grater.  Blend about two cups at a time of grated soap for a couple of seconds in a blender to a fine consistency.  Don't blend too long or else it will melt a teeny bit and harden in the bottom of the blender.  I learned the hard way.
Mix all ingredients and store in a container.  
Use one heaping tablespoon for light loads and 2 tablespoons for heavy loads.
I add 1 scoop of oxi-clean to my whites too.

I don't know how much money I am saving, I just know it is A LOT!

1 comment:

Kaye said...

I may have to give this a try. I have several thrifty friends who are using homemae laundry soap. I do about a zillion loads of laundry a week.