My Abuelita (from Chile) calls all of her great grandsons and granddaughters her princes and princesses. She speaks little English and greets family and strangers the same - a big hug and a smile. I don't know if anyone really knows her true age - she denies being old and will only admit to 87 years of life - that in itself is another story.
One day she was sitting across the table talking to Trevor in Spanish. Trevor was lapping it up because he could tell that she was singing praises to him. I quickly got up to attend to my hosting duties after Abuelita asked me for the 100th time why I hadn't taught my children Spanish.
It was then that Trevor grabbed my hand with panic in his eyes and said, "Mom don't leave, I need you to translate for me!"
I tapped his head and said, "Trev, just smile and nod - smile and nod."
The two prattled on for another 20 minutes as happy as can be.
1 comment:
Dreamworks can teach us so much!
Post a Comment