
Our family celebrates each opening Saturday with sugar cereal - ta dah!
After much debate on what kind of cereal really is healthy for breakfast, the kids and I designated a sugar cereal day. I am not a big supporter of big colorful boxes claiming whole grains and good for your heart stuff. I won't even buy them if they are more than $2 a box. Yet, I couldn't imagine the thought of squashing childhood dreams of Saturday cartoons with big Tupperware bowls of sugar.
How we decided....
Weekdays? No way! Send the kids to school and have their brains run low on sugar fuel before 10 am. Nope.
Sundays? Hum....squirmy kids in the chapel, only to send them to their Primary teachers to deal with - no, I don't think so (I am one of those Primary teachers).
Saturdays? Ah, sleeping in and fend for yourself day. Yes, Saturdays became the kid's most treasured mornings.
Unfortunately, soccer season takes up five months of those Saturdays and involves three of the five kids. I soon cursed those dang cereal companies as I watched Jarin loose energy before the first quarter of his game even ended.
My mommy nutrition education kicked in - I had to compromise. After everyone inhales their sugar intake for the week, I supplement it grudgingly with a protein meal before each soccer game (protein shake or eggs and wheat toast). So much for, "Start your day with a delicious bowl of Kellogg's cereal and you'll benefit from it's nutrients." HA!
It just goes to show that you can have your sugar and eat it too.
No comments:
Post a Comment