This is how it usually plays out….. last week all five kids were dressed and ready to go with 15 minutes to spare. Instead of waiting ever so patiently on the couch for me to put on my finishing touches, all five decided to play the latest greatest Jensen Olympic sport called Stair Jumping. Now, if you have never seen Stair Jumping, this is how it is laid out. Every couch cushion, bed pillow, and spare blanket in the house is arranged from the top of the stairs to the bottom of the stairs with the softest and largest pillows at the very end. The kids then proceed to jump, roll and fall down the stairs without hurting themselves. This is what they were doing in their Sunday clothes and their just combed /brushed/ blow dried /hair sprayed hair (yes, I still do all five hair dos – Makayla needs a little help with her new cut and Sunday is really the only day I make the boys gel their hair and I get to comb it).
Well, the hollering and cheering brought me out of the bathroom with half my face on to see the beginnings of this Olympic sport. In my strong commentary voice, I commanded them to put every pillow and blanket back and to get into the Suburban before I had my mascara on. Needless to say, after combing back several wispy hairs and tucking in shirts, we were still a tad bit late.
Hmmm, I need a plan….I was given a bag of Hershey Kisses by a neighbor (gotta love your VT) for Valentine’s Day. I tucked those little bribery kisses away to use for my plan on Sunday. With 10 minutes to church time, I gave Cameron the bag and told him the plan. What followed was five kids out and buckled in the Suburban before I even finished putting on my mascara. Ah, my plan worked all too well – no complaints. On the way to church, I congratulated myself and made a mental shopping list….
Milk – check
Chips for lunches - check
Hershey Kisses – check
Hey, maybe I should buy a 3 month supply.
I turned around just as we pulled into the parking lot and saw Trevor sucking on a mushed chocolate kiss on his finger – What!? I then saw smudge marks on the inside of his pants and around his month. How does 1 kiss make such a mess? Kerri didn’t get away unscathed either. Cameron bee lined to the boy’s bathroom with Trevor and I with Kerri to the girl’s bathroom in attempts to use paper towels and water for clean up duty – maybe I will add Shout wipes to my shopping list. We sat down just as the opening song was beginning. Sigh, late again.
No more kisses – figures!
Makayla squeezes in her piano time ever so diligently now that she is one of the pianists in YW on Sunday. Then she rushes back to bed – fully clothed to keep reading. I have never questioned her school reading log.
Jarin will usually lounge around in his room on the floor listening to books on tape. He’s in the middle of the Prelude to Glory series for the umpteenth time. He knows more about US History than I do.

Trev is the true ring leader with Rebekah and Kerri. They play so well together and will play for hours. Makes a mom’s heart just sing with joy!
My song of joy ended when I came back 5 minutes later to find this delightful mess. It never fails – the trio must end their playing by tearing down what ever project they so wonderfully built together.
Why?!






2 comments:
I would never have guessed the stair jumping game when your children come into church perfectly coiffed. I am going to play the star jumping game later on tonight when the children are asleep.
Wanna come?
I remember those days...I don't cherish them, but I remember them. LOL It's always a chore to get ready for church. I used to sing the song "Saturday is a Special Day" and tried to do that but it didn't always work. It's worth it though.
Post a Comment