The Jensenites

The Jensenites

Pages

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Testimony Bingo


     From an early age I have taught my kids to listen to General Conference in creative ways.  Our favorite was Conference Bingo.  As the kids sat in front of the television, I presented them with a bowl of small candies and a bingo card.  If a speaker spoke on a certain topic on the card, the kids hurried and put a candy on it.  Once they got Bingo they gobbled up their candies and started over.  It was a great motivator to listen, learn, feel the spirit, and inhale sugar all at the same time.   
  Today as we were sitting in church, I glanced over at all five of my children and was pleased to see how attentive they were to the messages being delivered during testimony meeting.  Then I saw them scratching off boxes on some homemade Bingo cards that Makayla had made for everyone.  I inspected this activity further and just grinned and left them to their game.  Each bingo square held a topic or a detail describing the speaker.  For example:  wearing a blue tie, crying, balding, a Young Women leader, quoted a scripture, grabbed a kleenex, teenager, old man, told a story, inspiring, a Prophet quote, etc.    
   The kids were so attentive (even without sugar) that I wanted to play too, but I didn't.  My job is to set a good example... so I discreetly maneuvered my iPad to capture the moment.    
    Rebekah was a true player and bore her testimony so that Makayla could mark off 'family testimony' to get a bingo.  Way to go Rebekah!  I was half tempted to go up to quote a favorite scripture and grab a tissue off the pulpit to ensure that someone got blackout, but time ran out.   Maybe next month I'll be ready.







No comments: