The Jensenites

The Jensenites

Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

Autumn Dinner

Our yearly parade of spiders - remember.... the mama always eats the daddy before he makes it to the table.  ;)  I tried a new roll recipe this year.


Oatmeal Rolls 
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 cup oats
2 Tbsp oil
2 tsp salt
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 1/4 tsp SAF yeast
4 3/4- 5 1/4 cups flour (I usually substitute 2 cups of the white flour with whole wheat flour)
Add oats, oil, and salt to boiling water. Remove from heat and add water.  Pour into mixer and add sugar, molasses, and yeast and let rise. Add 2 cups of the flour and beat till smooth. Add remaining flour till dough is sticky but doesn’t stick to your finger. Use buttered hands to shape into rolls. Place on greased cookie sheet or baking pan and let rise till doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. Brush with butter while still hot.
-Makes about 2 dozen rolls


I ate this soup at a fun Relief Society Fall activity and fell in love.  It is the yummiest, creamiest soup ever. I went back for seconds and thirds.  The next week I made it for my family thinking they would praise me forever in my good tastes.  Instead, I had to force bribe them to eat it with more yummy squishy rolls.  I suppose eating the orange stringy insides of their favorite Jack o lantern did not agree with them.  Next time I'll save it for the Ladies' Luncheon and the kids can have canned soup.

Zesty Pumpkin Soup - Nicole Lemon

1/4 cup Butter
1 Clove Garlic-minced
1/2 teas. Salt
1/8 teas. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
3 cup Chicken Broth
1 cup Half-n-Half
1 cup Onion-diced
1 teas. Curry
1/4 teas. Coriander
1 16oz can Pumpkin

Saute onion in butter.  Add garlic.  Add curry, salt, coriander, and red pepper and cook 1 minute.  Add broth. Bring to a gentle boil for 15-20 minutes.  Stir in pumpkin and half-n-half.  Cook 5 minutes.  Blend in blender till creamy.



No comments: