Did you know that Dr. Suess submitted his book to 32 publishers before it was accepted?
Cupid struck his arrow good and deep when I first met Cameron at Snow College. I didn’t know it at the time due to girly feelings for another young man. However, at an opening social institute dance, I spied the tall handsome Cameron standing and chatting with a herd of Japanese students (Cam’s mission was to Japan). I knew then and there that I had to chase him down. There was something about him that intrigued me.
The name Jensen is not to be taken lightly. Any one born from the Jensen family have amazing powers (skills). The most visible power being….they just CAN NOT sit down! (I admire this power, having said that, I am grateful that I do not posses a drop of Jensen blood – I enjoy lounging around and shooting the breeze.) His parents and siblings hold this power in addition to their own individual abilities. Cameron’s individual power is his thirst for knowledge.
That is what intrigued me. This boy had a nerdy side that I loved.
Cameron’s bookshelf would make a professor droll. He has rows of improvement books, problem solving books, leadership and management skills books, and columns of mechanical engineering books. Each book has been read and underlined to his satisfaction – some multiple times.
This flair for knowledge has no ends, so I learned as the children arrived one by one.
The day Makayla was born was a turning point in our lives. Being a brand new daddy, Cameron sat in the hospital cuddling Makayla in his arms with an earnest gaze on his face. He turned to me and said, “I think I’m going to get another degree.” Another?
I had just graduated from SUU with my teaching degree a month earlier. Cameron had one quarter left to complete his mathematics/science degree to teach high school. Our plan was to settle in a small town and be old fuddy duddy teachers.
Makayla’s arrival made Cameron realize that starting a 20 grand salary teaching school was not going to cut it for a stay-at-home mom and future children.
I sat in my comfy hospital bed a little baffled at this new announcement and just nodded my head.
What proceeded was three years of additional school which produced a bachelor of science degree to teach school, a bachelor of science in mechanical engineering and a bouncing baby boy.
As Cameron sat in the hospital chair now holding Jarin – just three weeks after graduating from the U of U, I thought that the latter degree had satisfied his hunger for knowledge. Little did I know that his brain had not yet sat down.
Trevor was born, along with Cameron’s knack for inventing. I came home from the hospital with my squishy Trev and Cameron came home with a pretty awesome patent invention to help the mining industry.
When the twin ladybugs were born, all ideas were halted for the space of three years. Once I was on my feet and supportive, Cameron enrolled in the EMBA program at the U of U. He LOVES it!
Did I mention that his ‘nerdation’ brain comes from his father? Yep, the two together could fill a library of manuals full of improvement ideas and inventions, along with a good book of quotes.
I confess that my mind wanders when Cameron launches into the latest greatest – but I wouldn’t have it any other way! He’s not a ‘Jensen’ for nothing.
Did you know that Edison discovered 1000 ways not to make a light bulb?
When you think like that – nothing can stop you!
Happy Birthday Jensen! |
Saturday, August 29, 2009
Happy Birthday Cam!
High School Days
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Have a Happy Birthday Feliz CumpleaƱo we love you. You are very special to us and you are in our thoughts today,the years are passing and you are getting wiser and not older. Love Lica and Lica.
We forgot that you and Mike had birthday's just days apart. Wondered why you always got along so well. It is wonderful to see such success and it has been a priviledge being your friends for so many years.
Happy Birthday!!! love Mike and Michelle
Post a Comment