The Jensenites

The Jensenites

Pages

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Æbleskivers

The Jensen name comes from Denmark along with family stories and a yummy breakfast recipe.  Cameron grew up eating aebleskivers passed on down through the generations.  Aebleskivers, meaning apple slices, are Danish traditional pancakes.  We celebrate our Jensen name by making aebleskivers for breakfast on General Conference Sundays.







Æbleskiver

              2 egg whites
            2 cups all-purpose flour
            2 teaspoons baking powder
            1 tablespoon white sugar
            1/2 teaspoon baking soda
            1/2 teaspoon salt
            2 egg yolks
            4 tablespoons butter, melted
            2 cups buttermilk
            Bowl of small cut apple slices to insert in the middle
            1 cup vegetable oil for frying


-In a clean glass or metal bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until they can hold a stiff peak.  Set aside.  
-Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, sugar, egg yolks, melted butter and buttermilk at one time and beat until smooth.  
-Gently fold in the egg whites last. 
-Put about ¼ teaspoon of vegetable oil in the bottom of each aebleskiver pan cup and heat until hot.
-Pour in about 2 tablespoons of the batter into each cup.
-Insert a small slice of apple in the middle. 
-As soon as they get bubbly around the edge, turn them quickly with a wooden skewer and continue cooking.  
-Dust with powder sugar.

2 comments:

Joan said...

That's a great tradition. I bought one of those pans at a garage sale once. I didn't know what it was and just cooked eggs in it. Now I know. I don't have a Scandanavian relative anywhere that I can find.

Jenna said...

Dave's mom makes these. They are super yummy-but messy-with powdered sugar sprinkled across them. We hope to inherit her pan some day. :)