The Jensenites

The Jensenites

Pages

Friday, October 16, 2009

The Apples of My Eye

It was early out Monday (kids get out of school an hour early each Monday) and a lovely day to make applesauce. Armed with two boxes full of gala apples and a bushel of neighbor apples - it was time to can our yearly sauce.

The girls helped me prep by pulling the stickers off the gala apples. I then took the girls to school, did my Monday volunteer duty, came home and waited for the kids to arrive.

As soon as they stepped through the door, I threw up my hands and yelled, "Surprise! You are the apples of my eye!"

I sustained lots of murmuring and complaining, nevertheless, I stood strong with a smile and eventually they got into the spirit of applesauce making.


Makayla still griping about having to make applesauce on an early out day.


Jarin used every trick in the book to bail from his duties. He even vowed not to eat any applesauce this winter if he could go out and play football.
No such luck!


Rebekah
Turning the apple strainer is the BEST job.
Taking turns was not fast enough for the little ones.


Trevor on the other hand, walked through the door,
tossed his backpack aside and rolled up his sleeves.
He loves to make applesauce.


Kerri
It really is this much fun to make applesauce.
So yummy when it's fresh out of the strainer.


30 quarts of apple sauce


Last week I canned 63 quarts of grape juice. I went shopping for bottles and it was then that I realized that I lived in Utah County since I had to go to four different stores to find bottles. I was surrounded by canning ladies who fought their way to the last box of bottles on sale. Fortunately, no one got hurt.

I thank the neighbor who gave me the grapes and taught me how to can it.

The canner is now tucked away downstairs and retired until next year - whew!

3 comments:

A Musing Mother said...

What neighbor gave you grapes? I want that neighbor.

I used to love to help my mom can applesauce. However, after canning this season and looking at all your canned goods, I got nauseated and threw up just a little bit.

I did not do 63 bottles of anything.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I think the applesauce canning looks like fun. I love Makayla's expression. My Grandma Martha used to can everything and I remember drinking her grape juice. It was good. With the way Grandma Martha canned and sewed I am surprised she wasn't Mormon but she loved to drink wine, smoke, and play Bingo.

Jennifer

Jared and Allyson said...

Wow, woman! You are a bottling mad woman. ;) I'm impressed with all you've accomplished!