
One evening, my wonderful neighbor surprised me with a generous bag of ripe peaches. The next day I rushed to a local farm to buy a box of raspberries. With two recipe books and the Internet as my guide, I created (all on my own for the very first time) two batches of canned raspberry/peach jam, one batch of freezer raspberry/peach jam and one batch of freezer raspberry/rhubarb jam (made just for my dad). Whoohoo! I was on a roll.

Later, a visit to my amazing sister-in-law who cans EVERYTHING ignited a home-loving feeling in me. I wanted to try my hand at canning peaches. I returned to the local farm to purchase two bushels of peaches. I had high expectations of myself that day. After 21 quarts of peaches and sticky floors, I started to wonder what the heck I was doing. I remained loyal to the last batch and came out with 42 quarts. I vowed not to can peaches again unless I got them for free or they came off of my yet to be planted peach trees. Two days of viewing my strenuous labor spread out on the table ultimately gave me back my home-loving feeling. Maybe I will do applesauce next month.

I am happy to see that our garden is toiling and producing with great effort as well.
Here we have some yummy red potatoes that have mutated and some are 'home-loving' too- oh dear.
5 comments:
Wow, you are a bottling maniac! Good for you!
Oh I love it Yolanda! I always wonder (when I am am doing my canning) if it is worth it, and then when we eat the fuits of my labor I decide it is. Great job. I'm doing applesauce this week.
Looks awesome Yolanda! I was going to make a week trip to Utah to can peaches with my Mom, but it ends up that we're moving back in a few weeks instead! Crazy life -- we're excited to be closer to family.
I agree with you about not buying fruit. It's too expensive and too much work...unless you can get it for free. Your food looks yummy! Congratulations!
Laurie
Every week I tell myself, "I am finished with canning!" And then I do more. It's so much fun...at first. Then I can't stand to see perfectly good fruit/veggies go to waste.
At this moment I am all out of jars. I am finished for the season!
(Unless I suddenly find myself with a whole bunch of tomatoes. I'll borrow jars from my mom).
Post a Comment