The Jensenites

The Jensenites

Pages

Monday, February 14, 2011

My Sweet Valentine


Today Rebekah rode her scooter home clutching her bag full of Valentines when suddenly she ran over an invisible bump and landed on her cute little face.  Fortunately, a neighbor, Miss A saw her seconds after it happened.  She stopped and started mopping up blood.  Rebekah was able to take a breath and rattle off our phone number and Miss A called me.   There was so much blood that she thought Rebekah would need stitches.  I arrived a minute after to see a dozen kids surrounding Miss A as she held soaked napkins to Rebekah's face.  It was a little scary.  Rebekah's pants, coat, shirt, and hair was covered in blood - she even left a nice puddle of the gooey stuff on the sidewalk.  Thankfully, there was no need for stitches.  Just a missing front tooth (Jarin found it on the sidewalk), a very sore face and eyeglasses that need to be replaced.  

After the pain subsided, she told me that right before she crashed she was thinking about how perfect today was and now she can't even eat her Valentine candy.  I went through her stash and pulled out all the chocolates for her to suck on.  She was happy and I was glad to get a little sugar in her. 

I am so grateful for Miss A for being there.  I am grateful for Jarin for taking care of everything that I left behind and staying cool and calm.  I am grateful for Trevor who sat next to Rebekah and showed her all of her Valentine cards to help ease her pain.  She had angels and blessings all around her.  

Not to be outdone,  Kerri burned her thumb on a jelly roll pan right before dinner and is now sporting a big blister. 

Rebekah's note to the tooth fairy.
Happy Valentine's Day!

6 comments:

Joan said...

Oh how sad. I cried a little tear for her. I hope she heals quickly.

Jared and Allyson said...

That is so sad and looks oh so sore. Poor little girl.

Mags said...

Oh that poor baby girl! I hope she feels better soon Yolanda. And I'm glad you're hanging in there!

Sorensen Family said...

Ahhh poor thing, just tell her that she has the right colors for Valentines. Hope she feels better soon. Love Nina

thehalvs said...

Oh my goodness! What a tumble. I don't think I've ever had one with quite such impressive road rash! Give her hugs from us-

Anonymous said...

She still looks pretty. The tooth fairy will certainly find her room and leave a little something for her. Love from the tooth fairy of VA.