The Jensenites

The Jensenites

Pages

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Fruita Grade School

Located in the quaint town of Fruita, Utah in the middle of Capitol Reef National Park sits a lovely one room log cabin school house.  Less than a dozen families lived in Fruita and their children only attended school in the Winter when there was no farm work to be done, which my kids thought was so cool until I told them that I would have been their teacher and they would have ALL been in the same class. 



Anywhere from 5 to 28 children attended at one time.



Class of 2010










Teacher's Pet





Figures!




I love history!

Near the Capitol Reef visitor center is the site of the former Mormon colony of Fruita, established in the 1870s - the good climate of this area and the fertile soil around the Fremont River allowed for successful orchards to be established. The settlers have long since left, departing around the time this area was designated as a National Monument in 1937, but fruit is still grown and can be picked in season, for a small fee. Several traditional pioneer dwellings survive and may be visited free of charge.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Esto me hace recordar mi dias de escuela, bueno no tanto, pero los escritorios y cuando uno se portaba mal tenia que sentarse en la escrina de la sala de clase. nunca fui un teacher pet. I love these pictures they bring back good memories, thank you Yolandita. Love ME

Kaye said...

We love Fruita! Had one of the best Easter Egg Hunts in the orchard several years ago. Back in our motor homing days.

These photos are great! Love the sepia!!

A Musing Mother said...

Who took the pictures!? They are awesome!

Yolanda said...

Hi Nancy - I took the pictures with lots of help from our fabulous technology. Jarin's picture is my favorite.

Joan said...

Where is Fruita? Do you know how it got it's name?